About Me

My photo
Worcester, Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Born in the year of the Coronation, I'm a Baby Boomer. In April of this year I decided I too would have a Diamond Jubilee celebration and completely change my life and that of my Husband's in the process

Saturday 8 December 2007

Back Again!

Finally, I update my Blog!

I hadn’t intended to leave it so long but having had a break from it, well, you just get out of the habit.

There have been a few reminders to ‘get on with it’ recently and as it is such a foul morning weather-wise and I have some spare time, it seems a good time to catch up. So I’m afraid it will be rather lengthy, due mostly to the Wedding that nearly didn’t happen.

Catherine, Flo and Isabella have settled well into their new home. Flo got temping work as soon as they were reasonably sorted in the house. Within a very short time he was offered a permanent job, doing something very similar to his work in Germany, The company seem very impressed with him (understandable) and have given him a very good career plan. I know nothing is certain these days when it comes to job security but, for the time being, they have no worries.

Early October saw the day of Simon and Tori’s much planned wedding. The week before was hectic. Isabella had just started walking and I’d promised Tori that if Isabella was able to walk down the aisle, I would buy her a little Flower Girl outfit.

After she started crawling Isabella wouldn’t wear dresses, they prevented her from getting anywhere, she would be kneeling on the skirt. We’ tried her in one for a First Birthday Party and the rage that provoked stopped any attempts to put her in one again.

Now, six months later, she was very wary of a ‘Big Frock’ and the shopping trip to Monsoon was a bit stressful, trying to persuade her that she really wanted this ankle length, silk dress with matching, embroidered shoes. Anyway, she can’t talk yet, so she was overruled.

Tori and Simon arrived on the Thursday, having just moved into married quarters, so a very busy week for them. Then a manic 24 hours of, sunbeds, waxings, facials and new nails. And that was just the men!!

Tori’s back was a bit stressed from the house move and then she picked up Isabella and that made it worse. We had dinner In Worcester on the Friday night with Tori, her parents and the bridesmaids. It was a fabulous meal but throughout I could see Tori was sitting awkwardly.

Saturday morning and the Big Day had dawned. Simon had to dash into town to pick up waistcoats and cravats. He and Brad, the Best Man, had bought their own, matching suits for the day. I’m not sure how much influence Brad had but I was surprised at what good taste one, or both of them had. You should see what they wear when they go out on the town!

Simon spoke to Tori on the phone, she had stayed at the Beckford, which is where the marriage was taking place. He told me she'd said her back wasn’t very good. Someone here is obviously a master of understatement!!

At 11.30, I went to pick up Sam, partner of my stepson. Sam was doing Tori’s makeup. We were also picking up the flowers en route , so arrived at The Beckford at 12.30. The dining room was being laid out and decorated for the Reception but one or two people advised me  on the way through that Tori’s back wasn’t very good and the hotel owner came to warn me that they were waiting for the Emergency Doctor.

I am now getting worried. I’m supposed to be doing Tori’s hair and had reckoned on it taking at least an hour, based on our previous practice. Some of the Bridal preparations were supposed to be photographed for the Album, so there was a lot to do.

Sam and I walked into the bedroom to be greeted by

 

0709060001

OMG!!! This is not looking good. Apart from obviously being in a lot of pain, Tori was shaking like a pneumatic drill!

I won’t go on about how stressful the next hour was, while we waited for the doctor to turn up. In fact it was more than an hour because it was nearly 2pm when he arrived.

Let me recap the situation. We have a wedding at 3pm and a Bride, who is on the floor and no way can she get up. Her hair is wet and still covered in conditioner, as she had collapsed in the shower and is just wearing a pair of pants and a duvet.

This is most definitely not looking good!

The doctor was marvellous, when he arrived. He injected her and gave her every conceivable drug that she hadn’t already taken. He also insisted on staying until we could manage to get her off the floor.

The Registrar and her assistant had been informed of the situation and had phoned ahead to see if their next wedding could take a delay. Bless them, they said yes.

At twenty to three, Tori, not without a few screams was placed in a chair and the desperate rush began. Luckily I had brought my own hair dryer, as it has an inbuilt nuclear reactor and dries hair very quickly. That’s what I did, whilst Sam was round the front doing the makeup. Sam had been an absolute rock while we waited to see if the wedding was likely to happen. I think the Gin and Tonic she gave me helped a great deal!

By the time the makeup was done it was just about three o clock and Tori’s hair was dry. The Registrar asked when she could come in to see if things were OK to proceed. I said about 10/15 minutes. Sam and I then did the fastest hairstyle any bride ever had. It was based on the original style but the loose part was only semi straight and the curled part was  only semi curled. We flung some pearl clips in and that was it, done.

Then into the dress. Apart from an ominous ripping sound because someone hadn’t fully opened the zip, there was no further hitch. Don’t think we ever found what had ripped. So the only really casualty of the day was Tori’s beautiful, high heeled shoes, which had to remain in the box. Luckily she had some flat silver pumps, which saved her from being barefoot.

I ran downstairs and ushered all the England Rugby fans out of the bar, where they were watching the match and into the Marriage Room, whilst Tori gingerly made it down the stairs.

I never thought I would have to get a girl drugged up to the eyeballs to get her to marry my son!!

At 3.20, she walked down the aisle and if you hadn’t known, you would never have guessed all the trauma of the previous hours. Tori looked just like any other beautiful bride on her wedding day, No one would have guessed that her preparations had taken less time than I spend every morning getting ready for school.

From then on, it was a lovely day, warm enough to spend time in the garden, even in strapless, floaty clothes. (The men again!)

Here are some of my family photos from the day, it was hard choosing what to put on.

0709060006

You can see from their faces how pleased the Registrar and Assistant were as she walked down the aisle.

0709060029

At last, they are married.

Simon's  Wedding Photos 10

Hat on........

0709060035

Or hat off?

0709060063

Catherine &Flo.

 

15

Me, left and Mike right, in case you couldn't work that one out.

ToriandSimonDancing cropped

I love this, it's a still taken from a movie clip I took. Their first dance as husband and wife. I think their faces say it all.

The food and service at the Beckford was excellent, as was the attention of the doctor and the kindness of the Registrar.

Sammy Southall, the photographer, an old friend, was good in adapting to a rather different schedule than the average wedding and I think we were very lucky having such a great team, who did everything possible to make sure the wedding happened.

Simon was kept away from Tori, which was a good thing, as he wouldn’t have managed to look so happy on the pre wedding shots, had he known what a drama was being acted out upstairs.

You can see some of the official photos (3 pages) by clicking on this link Sammy’s. Here is one of my favourites.

 

16

What else has been happening?

Well, after 24 years together, 23 of them married, Mike and I finally got engaged. I’d never had an engagement ring and just before Simon’s wedding he bought me one. It’s beautiful, an emerald cut, solitaire diamond, in a claw setting. Mike drove me to Bevere Green to give it to me, which is where he first proposed to me and of course, I said yes!!

We've had a new kitchen fitted. How easy is that to say? How difficult is the reality? Cooking meals in a microwave oven balanced on a breakfast stool and washing up in the bathroom. But it’s done now and I’m very pleased with it.

Catherine and family have driven back to Germany, to see Flo’s family and to pick up their cats, who are now able to enter the country.

I’ve bought some Calendar making equipment and have been out and about taking photos for a Rowley Regis Calendar I’ve made for some of my Family History friends. This is Haden Hill House, Kitchen and Rowley 034 the grounds are a public park now but for centuries belonged to the Haden family. Kitchen and Rowley 036 The Tudor Hall was nearly demolished but has recently been restored and stands next to the Victorian House built by the Haden Best family.

The War Memorial in Powke Lane Cemetery was just catching the sunset as I took this photo and I though it made an inspired picture for  November.

Kitchen and Rowley 044 - Copy

 

As for J Land, I’ve been catching up on some of my favourites but I’m concerned for Kim (I shaved My Legs For This) nothing from her since mid November. I think her 3 week Chemo finishes in the next day or two. I hope she soon gets her strength back.

I must put some more family photos in soon from the wedding. If I don’t have time before Christmas, I hopeyou all have a lovely time and see you in the New Year.

 

 

 

 

 

 

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome back ,and what a lovely entry ,Isabella is all grown up ,your pictures are lovely ,I do hope Toris back is better now,So pleased Flo has a new job here ,that is good too ,so pleased to hear all is well at the George Mansions ...love Jan xx

Anonymous said...

WOW! You've been so busy I can't beleive it. The photos of the wedding are great. I loved the bit about the hair drier with a built in Nuclear reactor! I had one when I was younger......... Now I ain't got a hair on my head. Be warned ! ;-)
Gaz xxx

Anonymous said...

Great to hear from you again, Linda! And what a fabulous entry it was!  Lots of exciting news to share with us too!  On my goodness, what a day of high drama with the wedding!  But they do so true love never runs smooth so... by those standards they should live a long and happy life together...lol...!!!

Loved the pics too and while you have the camera out, a few snaps of the new kitchen would also be nice! Oh, and the new 'BLING' as well!!!!

Isabella looked adorable and I'm sure you are loving having her back home and spending lots more time with her.  Its so hard to believe they grow so quickly.

Best wishes for a wonderful Christmas and New Year. And, it really was good to hear from you again.  Oh, and congrats on your engagement too!  Lets hope your back holds out for the wedding!!!!

Hugs

Wendy in Oz
http://journals.aol.com/wickedpink64/dont-worry...be-happy/

Anonymous said...

welcome back:) love the pictures:) enjoy your weekend

Deb

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you had alot of pre-wedding Drama, but you all made it thru and if u did not know she had a terrible bad back, just looking athow beautiful she is, you would never ever know...wonderful pictures.  Congrats on your engagement ring, sounds very nice.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely surprise to hear from you and see the pics!!!  Poor Tori... but she managed to make it thru!!  Yay!  She looked gorgeous... so did the men!  No pics of your ring?  It sounds LOVELY!!!  Congrats!  Isabella looks like a princess as always!!!  Glad your daughter is settling in well!  

I hope your holidays are great... and yes... hopefully Kim will be back soon...

be well,
Dawn

Anonymous said...

what a wonderful story they will have to tell their grandchildren....I'm glad teh bitty flower girl took to her dress...This entry was hilarious!
Marti

Anonymous said...

I'm so pleased that you posted an update, the pictures are great and I am so pleased that the wedding worked out well after all the problems.

Anonymous said...

Linda after all the Drama I am glad the wedding finally took place ~ the photographs are lively and she certainly made a beautiful bride ~ Ally x

Anonymous said...

Linda so LOVELY to hear from you!!! Thanks for your comment too :-) What a day you all had!! The photo's are stunning, you're all so gorgeous, can't believe how big Isabella is already ~ such a beautiful baby :-) and that's before I've looked at the "official" photo's which I'm gonna do now! And so many congrats to you and Mike on an engagement ring ~ even after so many happy married years together ~ it's never too late for some diamonds love. Take care all of you, lotsa love Debbie xxx
http://journals.aol.co.uk/debbiewebb4465/TheLifeTimesofanEssexGirl

Anonymous said...

So gald that after all of that drama that you were able to get the wedding on the road.  Tori is just beautiful!  Now relax and get ready for Christmas!
Love,
Susie

Anonymous said...

Woooohoooo, glad you are back Linda, I have missed you.  The photos of the wedding are lovely and my goodness what a drama you had.  Your dress was stunning and you looked really great.  Congratulations on your engagement, tee hee!  I can sympathise about your new kitchen having also washed up in the bath and cooking in the microwave for a week or two earlier this year.  Hope the chickens are ok.  Hugs, Tells x

Anonymous said...

Oh Linda, I bet you were all relieved when it was over and congratulations on your engagement ;)

Anonymous said...

Well i was on the edge of my chair with that entry!Glad the wedding went ahead!Beckie x